Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
Sounds yummy and healthy too! I think marinading the grilled veggies in a freezer bag with olive oil and the rest of ingredients for the veggies for about an hour is what I will try before grilling them. Also, I will probably make double the mayo/pesto mixture. Adapted from Cooking Light, August 2008. Posted for ZWT 6.
For grilled Vegetables
- 8 (4 inch) portabella mushrooms (about 1 pound)
- 4 medium red bell peppers, quartered
- 2 medium vidalia onions (about 1 1/4 pounds) or 2 medium other sweet onions, each cut into 4 slices (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- cooking spray
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon pesto sauce
- 2 whole wheat pita bread, cut in half
- 4 leaves lettuce leaves
- 4 servings simple grilled vegetables
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- For grilled veggies:.
- Prepare grill to medium-high heat.
- Arrange mushrooms, gill sides up; bell pepper quarters; and onion slices on a baking sheet.
- Coat vegetables with cooking spray. Sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle vinegar over mushrooms. Place vegetables on grill rack; grill 5 minutes on each side or until tender.
- To make sandwich:.
- Combine mayonnaise and pesto.
- Spread 1 tablespoon mayonnaise mixture into each pita half.
- Stuff each pita half with 1 lettuce leaf, 1 serving Simple Grilled Vegetables, and 2 tablespoons cheese.
- Serve immediately.