1/1 Photo of Grilled Vegetable Panini With Basil Pesto
This recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis. This is a tasty way to work veggies into your diet. It's pretty easy to make, loaded with flavor, and also filling!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Grilled vegetable panini
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 small Japanese eggplants or 1 large regular eggplant, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 zucchini, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 French baguettes (each about 2 feet long)
- 1/2 cup basil pesto, recipe follows
- 8 ounces water-packed fresh mozzarella cheese, drained, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup roasted red pepper
- 8 large basil leaves (optional)
- 1For Panini:.
- 2Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Drizzle the oil over the eggplant, zucchini, and onion slices, then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 3Working in batches, grill the eggplant, zucchini, and onions until they are tender and grill marks appear, about 4 minutes per side.
- 4Cool completely.
- 5Cut each baguette into 6 pieces.
- 6Working with one baguette piece at a time, slice in half and spread both sides with the pesto.
- 7Working with the bottom slice of the baguette, stack 2 slices of eggplant, 2 slices zucchini, 1 slice onion, 1 slice tomato, 1 slice mozzarella, and 1 slice of roasted pepper.
- 8Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 9Place top half of baguette on top and continue with remaining baguette.
- 10(The sandwiches can be made 4 hours ahead. Wrap well with plastic wrap and refrigerate.).
- 11For Basil Pesto:.
- 12In a blender, pulse the basil, pine nuts, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper until finely chopped.
- 13With the blender still running, gradually add enough oil to form a smooth and thick consistency.
- 14Transfer the pesto to a medium bowl and stir in 1/2 cup of cheese.
- 15Season the pesto with more salt and pepper, to taste.
- 16(The pesto can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
- 17Yields 1 cup and takes about 10 minutes to prepare.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Vegetable Panini With Basil Pesto
Serving Size: 1 (200 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 434.5
- Calories from Fat 184
- Total Fat 20.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 18.6 mg
- Sodium 827.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 14.9 g