1/2 Photos of Grilled Vegetable Muffuletta
A recipe from Rachael Ray from the issue of June-July 2008. Posted for ZWT4 Italy. For the portobello, it's not written to slice it. But I guess after it's grilled, we can slice it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 eggplant, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 zucchini, sliced 1/2 inch thick on an angle
- 1 red bell pepper, quartered lengthwise
- 1 large portabella mushroom cap (read above)
- 1 red onion, sliced 3/4 inch thick
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 6 ounces Baby Spinach
- 1/3 cup pine nuts (a generous handful)
- 2/3 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated (a couple generous handfuls)
- 1 cup giardiniera, store-bought (pickled vegetable salad)
- 1/2 cup green olives, pitted
- 1 (8 -9 inch) round crusty Italian bread
- 1/4 lb deli-sliced provolone cheese
- 1Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-heat. Lightly brush the eggplant, zucchini, bell pepper, portobello (read the description, maybe you have to slice it after it's grilled) and red onion with 1/4 cup of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and grill, turning once, until charred, about 6 minutes.
- 2Using a food processor, puree the spinach, pine nuts and parmigiano-reggiano; season with salt and pepper. With the machine one, drizzle in the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil. Transfer the pesto to a bowl. Rinse the food processor.
- 3Using the food processor, pulse the giardiniera and olives into a coarse relish.
- 4Slice the top quarter off the bread and scoop out the insides. Spread half the pesto on the inside of the bread, layer with half of the grilled vegetables, then spoon the remaining pesto on top. Fill the bread with the remaining vegetables and top with the provolone. Spread the inside of the bread top with the vegetable relish and set into place. Press down firmly, then cut into wedges.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Vegetable Muffuletta
Serving Size: 1 (381 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 564.4
- Calories from Fat 442
- Total Fat 49.2 g
- Saturated Fat 11.9 g
- Cholesterol 29.2 mg
- Sodium 782.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 18.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
crusty Italian bread