This is as hearty as a meat sandwich! Lightly charred vegetables, oil and vinegar dressing, a nice black olive tapanede with basil and provolone cheese served on a yummy roll to soak up all the delicious dressing-I'm in veggie heaven! From Down Home with the Neely's Cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 zucchini, sliced lengthwise into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 summer squash, sliced lengthwise into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 large red bell peppers, quartered lengthwise, seeded (or orange or yellow)
- 1 medum red onion, sliced into 1/4-inch strips
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 4 (8 inch) italian sandwich buns, split lengthwise (preferably with seeds)
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons tapenade (or other black olive spread)
- 8 thin slices provolone cheese
- 1/4 cup pickled banana pepper, thinly sliced
- 24 basil leaves
- 1Heat the grill or a grill pan to medium high. Arrange the zucchini, squash, bell peppers, and onion on a rimmed baking sheet. Whisk the vinegar and olive oil together in a bowl to blend. Brush the cut side of each roll with a small amount of the dressing mixture, then toss the vegetables with the remaining dressing. Season with salt and pepper. Grill the cut side of the rolls until toasted, about 1 minute. Place the rolls cut side up on plates.
- 2Grill the veggies until tender and lightly charred, turning and brushing occasionally with any dressing mixture left on the baking sheet, about 10 minutes.
- 3Spread the bottom half of each roll with 1 1/2 tbls. tapenade, and top with warm vegetables. Cover the veggies in each sandwich with 2 slices of cheese, and a quarter of the banana peppers and basil. Finish with an additional drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- 4Cover each sandwich with the top of roll, and press down gently to marry the flavors. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Vegetable Hero With Pickled Peppers and Provolone
Serving Size: 1 (366 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 309.0
- Calories from Fat 249
- Total Fat 27.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 16.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 3.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: