Prep 45 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A great recipe to take advantage of those summer vegetables. Other summer vegetables, such as thinly sliced tomatoes can be added as well. Grill the vegetables while the dough rises (I used my George Foreman grill to grill the veggies). From Cooking Light Magazine. Cooking time includes time for rising.
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast (1 package)
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups warm water (100 to 110 degrees)
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 6 ounces zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 1 yellow pepper, seeded and quartered
- 1 red onion, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup shredded romano cheese
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- cooking spray
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in 1 1/3 cups water and 2 tablespoons oil in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine 2 2/3 cup flour, oregano, 1 teaspoon of salt, and fennel seeds; stir well.
- Add flour mixture to yeast mixture, stirring to combine.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface.
- Knead until smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes); add enough of the remaining 1/3 cup flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel sticky). If needed, add a little more flour while kneading dough.
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top.
- Cover dough and let rise in a warm place (85 degrees), free from drafts, 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in size. (Gently press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, dough has risen enough.)
- Press dough out onto a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat grill.
- Combine remaining 2 tablespoons oil and balsamic vinegar in a small bowl.
- Brush oil mixture evenly over zucchini, bell pepper, and onion. Sprinkle with remaining 1.2 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Place vegetable on a grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill zucchini 4 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
- Grill bell pepper and onion 6 minutes on each side or until tender.
- Remove vegetables from grill and let cool completely.
- Cut bell peppers into 1/4 inch-thick strips.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Arrange vegetables evenly over surface of dough, and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 425°F for 27 minutes or until golden.
- Sprinkle with basil.
- Transfer to a wire rack; cool 10 minutes before serving.