Tired of heavy, cheesy enchiladas? Want to feel less guilty about eating really good Mexican food? Well ... these are not fat free but are vegetarian and VERY tasty. The grilling of the vegetables takes some time but they are well worth the effort!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced lengthwise about 1/8 thick
- 2 medium yellow squash, sliced about 1/8 thick
- 1 eggplant (Sliced lengthwise about 1/4 thick)
- 1 red pepper, seeded and cut in half
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and cut in half (yellow)
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and cut in half
- 1 red onion, cut into rounds, and then in half
- 1 cup black beans, drained
- 2 ears fresh corn, grilled and removed from cob
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (for brushing the vegetables for grilling)
- 1 cup monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded
- 2 dozen corn tortillas
- 1 lb fresh tomatillo, husks removed, washed and quartered
- 4 fresh jalapenos, sliced in half and seeded
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups water
- 1Brush all the vegetables lightly with olive oil. Grill until just done and still crispy. Cut all the vegetables into 2” strips – pat dry and set aside. Use the same system in the oven – set the temperature at 500 degrees so that the vegetables will char and not steam. This recipe makes one large pan of enchiladas or 2 small ones.
- 2To make the sauce combine the last 5 ingredients in the list and simmer till the tomatillos are soft. Puree using an imersion blender and set aside.
- 3Spray a large 9 x 11 casserole dish with a non-stick spray and then place 1 cup of the sauce on the bottom of the pan – spread to cover the entire bottom of the pan. Dip each tortilla in the hot sauce and then fill with one to two strips of each vegetable, some of the corn and the beans – add some cheese and roll and place in the pan. Pour over the rest of the sauce and top with more shredded cheese.
- 4Bake at 350 degrees until bubbly.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Vegetable Enchiladas
Serving Size: 1 (654 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 496.8
- Calories from Fat 155
- Total Fat 17.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 16.7 mg
- Sodium 557.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.7 g
- Sugars 11.3 g
- Protein 17.7 g