Recipe by -Sylvie-
The combination of flavours in this sandwich is just super. You can use the vegetables hot or cold, either way tastes great. Created for the RSC#7.
- 1 small eggplant, thickly sliced
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 yellow bell pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon thyme, freshly chopped
- 1⁄2 tablespoon basil, freshly chopped
- 2 tablespoons feta cheese, crumbled
- 0.5 (7 1/2 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained, liquid reserved (chickpeas)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon yoghurt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pinch paprika
- 2 large crusty bread rolls, chiabatta works well
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the bell peppers under a medium grill/broiler skin side up for approx 5-10 minutes.
- Remove when skins are charred and starting to blister.
- Immediately place into a zip lock bag for about 5 minutes, now the skin should come off really easily.
- Cut into chunky strips.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine the olive oil, thyme and basil.
- Add the sliced eggplant and mix well so that the slices are coated.
- Grill or griddle for approximately 10 minutes turning once.
- For the hummus, combine the garbanzo beans, garlic, tahini, lemon juice, yoghurt, cumin and paprika in a blender and mix until smooth, if required add a little of the reserved liquid from the beans until you reach the desired consistency.
- Slice your rolls, spread generously with hummus, cover with layers of the grilled peppers and eggplant and sprinkle with feta cheese.