Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
The combination of flavours in this sandwich is just super. You can use the vegetables hot or cold, either way tastes great. Created for the RSC#7.
- 1 small eggplant, thickly sliced
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 yellow bell pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon thyme, freshly chopped
- 1⁄2 tablespoon basil, freshly chopped
- 2 tablespoons feta cheese, crumbled
- 0.5 (7 1/2 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained, liquid reserved (chickpeas)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon yoghurt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pinch paprika
- 2 large crusty bread rolls, chiabatta works well
- Place the bell peppers under a medium grill/broiler skin side up for approx 5-10 minutes.
- Remove when skins are charred and starting to blister.
- Immediately place into a zip lock bag for about 5 minutes, now the skin should come off really easily.
- Cut into chunky strips.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine the olive oil, thyme and basil.
- Add the sliced eggplant and mix well so that the slices are coated.
- Grill or griddle for approximately 10 minutes turning once.
- For the hummus, combine the garbanzo beans, garlic, tahini, lemon juice, yoghurt, cumin and paprika in a blender and mix until smooth, if required add a little of the reserved liquid from the beans until you reach the desired consistency.
- Slice your rolls, spread generously with hummus, cover with layers of the grilled peppers and eggplant and sprinkle with feta cheese.
This was so good! The only thing i altered was that i did not use feta because i am allergic to it...otherwise this was wonderful!!! I have already made it twice!