I found this on the internet and Russell cooked it tonight for a special dinner for the two of us. Veal chops are almost my favourite meat, and I have beautiful sage in the garden right now. I have to admit we didn't do the bit about frying the sage leaves for garnish, but it was still wonderful over creamy mashed potatoes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- olive oil (for frying)
- 20 large sage leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 (250 -300 g) rib-eye veal chops
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup black olives or 1 cup green olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup capers
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1Warm 1/2 inch olive oil in the bottom of a frying pan over medium-high heat.
- 2When the oil is hot, add the sage leaves and cook until crisp, 30 to 60 seconds; remove from the pan and drain on paper towels.
- 3Reserve for garnishing.
- 4Heat 1 tablespoon of the extra virgin olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- 5Add the veal chops and cook until golden, 5 to 6 minutes.
- 6Turn the veal chops, season with salt and pepper, and continue to cook until golden and cooked to medium rare, 5 to 6 minutes.
- 7Remove from the pan, place on a warm platter, cover with foil, and keep warm.
- 8Increase the heat to medium-high, add the remaining I tablespoon extra virgin olive oil and the garlic, and cook until the garlic is soft, about 15 seconds.
- 9Add the white wine and simmer until the wine has almost evaporated, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the chicken stock and reduce by half, 3 to 5 minutes.
- 10Add the olives, capers, and fresh sage and stir together.
- 11Add the lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- 12To serve, place one chop on each plate and spoon the sauce, olives, and capers over the top and around the sides.
- 13Garnish with crisp sage leaves and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Veal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Veal Chops With Olives, Capers, and Sage
Serving Size: 1 (406 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 538.1
- Calories from Fat 274
- Total Fat 30.5 g
- Saturated Fat 10.5 g
- Cholesterol 207.4 mg
- Sodium 704.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 49.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: