Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 mins
Serve sandwich as a meal or cut into smaller pieces as an appetizer.
- 2 ounces feta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup pitted kalamata olive, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 8 slices sourdough bread (or pain au levain, bread should be 1/4-inch thick)
- 4 ounces gruyere cheese, coarsely grated
- 4 whole roasted red peppers, drained and cut in half
- 1⁄2 cup baby spinach leaves
- In a bowl, mix the feta, olives, capers, lemon peel, and pepper together; set aside.
- Butter one side of each bread slice; place 4 slices on a work surface, buttered side down.
- Spread the feta mixture evenly over the 4 slices.
- Press the Gruyere into the feta mixture, and top each slice with 2 pepper halves and the spinach.
- Press again to compress the filling.
- Place the remaining 4 bread slices on top, buttered side up.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat for 2 minutes; place sandwiches in skillet (in batches, if needed), cover, and cook 2-3 minutes or until the undersides are golden brown and the cheese has begun to melt.
- Uncover and turn the sandwiches with a spatula, pressing very firmly to flatten them slightly.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the undersides are golden brown and the spinach has wilted.
- Turn the sandwiches again, press with the spatula, and cook 30 seconds or until the Gruyere has melted completely.
- Serve immediately.