Prep 4 hrs
Cook 30 mins
A great hot sandwich with flavorful grilled chicken, savory veggies and provolone cheese. This is a easy and simple recipe don't let the long instructions drive you away. Note: I don't add the salt since the salad dressing has enough.
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 1⁄2 cup Italian dressing, zesty
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red pepper, cut in thin strips
- 1 green pepper, cut in thin strips
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced mushrooms, fresh
- 1 red onion, cut in thin slices
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- mayonnaise (optional)
- Italian dressing, to drizzle
- lettuce (optional)
- tomatoes (optional)
- 8 sub buns or 2 loaves specialty bread
- Place chicken breasts in large Ziploc bag and cover with zesty italian dressing.
- Marinate in the refrigerator at least 4 hours turning the bag over occasionally to coat all of the chicken.
- Preheat gas/charcoal grill or a ridged grill pan to a medium-high heat.
- Remove the chicken from the bag and season with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken on grill and cook until meat is done (center 180 degrees), about 9-10 minutes per side.
- In a large skillet, on the stove or the side burner of grill, heat the olive oil and add the red and green peppers, mushrooms and onions.
- Saute about 6-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic during the last 2 minutes.
- When chicken is done remove to a plate and let rest for a few minutes.
- Cut the chicken into strips and arrange on the buns or bread.
- Top with the vegetables.
- Drizzle with a small amount of Italian dressing and top with cheese.
- Add mayo to the top of bread if desired.
- Wrap sandwiches in aluminum foil and set back on grill for about 2 minutes until bread is warm and cheese is melted.
- May add lettuce and tomato if desired.
- Place sandwiches on serving tray and skewer with party toothpicks.
- If using a loaf of bread, cut into equal pieces, add toothpicks and arrange on serving platter.
I made this recipe on thursday for my boyfriend and me, then made it again on saturday so that my family could try it! Delicous and rather simple to make! The first time I marinated the chicken overnight and I highly recommended doing that!