Prep 3 hrs
Cook 40 mins
This is a great recipe to have in the summer months or out on the campfire (if you prep marinade in advance). Prep time includes minimal marinade time
- 1 shallot
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 6 -8 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1⁄2 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice and zest of
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1 chicken, quartered
- In blender or food processor, combine all ingredients except chicken.
- Process until herbs are finely minced.
- Place chickens in large shallow dish and pour marinade over them.
- Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight, turning several times.
- Grill chicken over medium-hot coals, turning several times and basting with marinade, until crisp and browned, about 40 minutes.
The dinner guests raved about this chicken, but I couldn't help but think they were just stroking my ego. It just wasn't that good. I am far from being a salt-aholic, but the marinade would have benefitted from the addition of some salt, imo... Or perhaps some salt directly on the chicken just before grilling. If I try this recipe again, that's one change I'll definitely make.
This was pretty tasty. not totally to my family's tastes, but good, nonetheless. I served it with Recipe #29303 and Recipe #228793 for a great dinner that didn't heat up the kitchen with the oven. Chicken was also very good cold the next day! Thanks for posting!
I have the same recipe except it has the addition of 6 fresh basil leaves and instead of lemon juice it has 1 tsp. red wine vinegar.