- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
- 2 tablespoons A.1. Original Sauce
- olive oil
- 8 slices rye bread (1/4-inch thick)
- 8 slices provolone cheese (1/4-inch thick)
FOR THE RELISH
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch thick slices
- olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon mustard
- 1⁄2 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme leave
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- For the Burgers:.
- Mix first 3 ingredients in a bowl.
- Form into patties on a plate.
- Cover with cling wrap and refridgerate for at least 2 hours.
- (this will keep the burgers from breaking apart on the grill).
- Grill onions for relish first:.
- Heat grill to high.
- Brush onions on both sides with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill on each side for 3 to 4 minutes or until slightly charred and just cooked through.
- Whisk together vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper, and thyme in a medium bowl. Whisk in 1/4 cup of olive oil until emulsified. Add the onions and stir until combined.
- Let stand at room temperature until ready to use.
- Grilling turkey burgers:.
- With grill on high brush burgers with olive oil.
- Grill for 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium-well doneness (the burger will continue to cook when placed back on the grill in the next step).
- Turn grill down to medium.
- Place the bread on a flat surface.
- Top each slice with a slice of cheese and a few tablespoons of Grilled Onion Relish. Place a burger on top and then top the burger with the remaining slice of bread. Brush the top of the bread with the oil and place the burgers carefully on the grill, oiled side down, and press down slightly on the sandwich with a metal spatula.
- Grill for 1 to 2 minutes or until golden brown, then brush the top slice of bread with oil, flip over, press the top with the spatula and cook until that side is golden brown and the cheese has melted.
- Cut in half and serve.