Prep 20 mins
Cook 32 mins
best of best cookbook
- 4 (4 ounce) tuna steaks (center cut)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, coarsely chopped,or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1⁄3 cup drained capers
- 4 small ripe plum tomatoes, cored and cubed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- prepare a charcoal grill or preheat broiler.
- place the tuna on a flat dish and spoon 1 tablespoon oil over it.
- sprinkle with salt and pepper, red pepper flakes and thyme and spread well into the steaks.
- cover with plastic wrap and let stand at least 15 minutes before grilling heat the remaining tablespoon olive oil in a small skillet.
- add the capers and cook briefly over medium high heat.
- add the tomatoes, salt and pepper and lemon juice and cook for 5 minutes, keep warm.
- if using a grill, rub the rack lightly with olive oil.
- place the fish on the grill and cook for 3 minutes, then turn and cook for antoher 3 minutes for rare.
- if you wish the fish to vew more well done, cook longer on each side.
- if broiling place in pan and broil for 6 minutes for rare, turning once.
- remove fish and cut it into thin diagonal slices.
- to serve, divide the tomatoes among 4 warm plates.
- place the tuna slices on top and sprinkle with basil or parsley.
Pretty good. I'd go easy on the capers, though.
I really enjoyed the tangy combination of capers and lemon juice. The fresh tomatoes and basil topped the tuna attractively and tastefully.