Recipe by Chef Boy-R "Diabetic" Danny
These tuna steaks are great. Make sure the steaks are seared on the out side and rare on the inside. Be careful with the sauce as it could be too spicy for some people. You can always serve it on the side as a dipping sauce. Enjoy.
Top Review by The Queen Bag
Wow! This sauce is absolutely terrific. I didn't have tuna steaks, so I used mahi mahi. I was a little concerned that the sauce would be too strong for a mild fish, but not so. It would be good on chicken & pork as well. I did burn my first batch of toasted coconut, but the second batch was perfect. Thanks.
- 2 lbs tuna steaks, cut 1 inch thick
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1 tablespoon wasabi powder
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk together coconut milk and wasabi powder in a saucepan and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Toast coconut flakes in the oven set at 350°F for 5 to 15 minutes until golden brown. Keep an eye on them so you don't burn them.
- Turn your Bar-B-Q on high.
- Bring wasabi mixture to a simmer, whisking constantly.
- Lower heat and reduce sauce to approximately 1 1/2 cups (it take about 5 minutes).
- Add 1/2 tsp kosher salt and remove from the heat.
- Season both sides of the tuna steaks with salt and pepper.
- Place tuna steaks on the hot grill for 2 minutes per side.
- Cut tuna steaks into 1/2-inch slices. Pour wasabi and coconut sauce over the slices and sprinkle toasted coconut flakes over the top.