Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The recipe is from the wonderful Booby Flay! A fresh tuna salad sandwich just can't be beat, and I bet the Lemon-Habanero Mayo is makes this dish. I haven't tried this one yet, but DH is begging me to make it.....so we'll see ;)
- 3 cups fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2-1 whole habanero pepper (only use the whole thing if you like HOT!!!)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup mayonnaise, good quality
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 celery, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) tuna steaks
- 8 slices hearty bread (French, Italian, ciabatta, etc.)
- Heat grill to high.
- Place lemon juice in a small saucepan and bring to a boil (you can do this on the grill if you like). Cook until juice has reduced to 1/2 cup. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Place lemon syrup, habanero, lemon zest, and mayo in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add onions, celery, and parsley to mayo mixture, stir to combine and set aside.
- Brush tuna steaks with olive oil and season with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Grill for 3 min per side or slightly charred and cooked to medium doneness. Remove from grill and let rest for 5 minute before cutting.
- Cut tuna into small dice or flake with a fork. Add the tuna to the may mixture and gently mix until combined.
- Divide the tuna salad among 4 slices of bread. Top with a few sprigs of watercress and the remaining bread slices.