Recipe by SkinnyMinnie
The recipe is from the wonderful Booby Flay! A fresh tuna salad sandwich just can't be beat, and I bet the Lemon-Habanero Mayo is makes this dish. I haven't tried this one yet, but DH is begging me to make it.....so we'll see ;)
Top Review by Manami
Hello SkinnyMiniie, this recipe was fabulous! What we did with the scotch bonnet pepper was to leave it whole to allow the sauce to be integrated with it - that way it imparts a nice little bite and then we slice it for those who want that extra wonderful zing! This I did by putting the whole pepper in the lemon syrup while it was cooling. Then removed it and subbed it with a new one that wesliced. I learned this from an old Haitian lady who visited my mothers house everyday and would regale us with colorful stories about her culture, customs and foods and ways of preparing them. We used ciabatta rolls and flaked the tuna and with the sauce and the peppery arugula - we had a sandwich fit for a king. Thanks so much for posting another great Bobby Flay recipe, Diane :)
- 3 cups fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2-1 whole habanero pepper (only use the whole thing if you like HOT!!!)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup mayonnaise, good quality
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 celery, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) tuna steaks
- 8 slices hearty bread (French, Italian, ciabatta, etc.)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat grill to high.
- Place lemon juice in a small saucepan and bring to a boil (you can do this on the grill if you like). Cook until juice has reduced to 1/2 cup. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Place lemon syrup, habanero, lemon zest, and mayo in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add onions, celery, and parsley to mayo mixture, stir to combine and set aside.
- Brush tuna steaks with olive oil and season with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Grill for 3 min per side or slightly charred and cooked to medium doneness. Remove from grill and let rest for 5 minute before cutting.
- Cut tuna into small dice or flake with a fork. Add the tuna to the may mixture and gently mix until combined.
- Divide the tuna salad among 4 slices of bread. Top with a few sprigs of watercress and the remaining bread slices.