Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Cooking Light. Note marination time.
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped of fresh mint, divided
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, divided
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 (6 ounce) yellowfin tuna steaks
- 2 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons chopped pitted kalamata olives
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- cooking spray
- Combine 1/2 cup mint, lemon rind, 4 teaspoons lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper, and garlic in a shallow dish; add tuna, turning to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Combine 1/4 teaspoon salt and water in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Stir in barley; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes.
- Spoon barley into a large bowl; cool slightly.
- Add remaining 1/4 cup mint, tomato, green onions, capers, and olives; stir well to combine.
- Combine remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 2 tablespoons lemon juice, and oil, stirring well with a whisk.
- Drizzle over barley mixture; toss gently to coat. Set aside.
- Prepare grill or broiler.
- Place tuna steaks on a grill rack or broiler pan coated with cooking spray; cook 2 minutes on each side until tuna steaks are medium-rare or until desired degree of doneness.
- Spoon about 1 1/2 cups barley mixture onto each of 4 plates; top each serving with 1 tuna steak.