Prep 40 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This makes a fresh-tasting layered salad that is a meal-in-one. It is prepared ahead of time and after chilling in the refrigerator, it's ready to be served -- great for those warm summer evenings. (Two hours of the cooking time listed below is actually the time for the salad to chill.)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh ahi tuna fillets, cut 1-inch thick
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 lbs small new yukon gold potatoes, thinly sliced
- 6 ears fresh sweet corn
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 12 green onions, sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- chili powder
- lime wedge (optional)
- 3 limes
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- For charcoal grill, cook over medium coals. For a gas grill, preheat the grill and then reduce heat to medium.
- Rinse tuna and pat dry. Brush Tuna with olive oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- If using a charcoal grill, grill tuna on greased rack of uncovered grill directly over coals, 8-12 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork and the center is slightly pink, turning once.
- If using a gas grill, place tuna on greased rack over heat. Cover and then grill as above.
- Meanwhile, cook potato slices in boiling salted water 5-8 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside. Cut corn from cob.
- In a small bowl combine cilantro, green onions, and jalapeno; cover and chill. Prepare Lime Dressing as below, and set aside. Break tuna into 3/4-inch pieces.
- Place tuna evenly on bottom of a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Drizzle with 1/3 of the Lime Dressing. Add potatoes; drizzle with another 1/3 of the dressing. Add corn and drizzle with remaining dressing. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Cover and chill in refrigerator 2-3 hours.
- To serve, top with cilantro mixture and sweet pepper. Sprinkle with chili powder; pass lime wedges.
- To prepare Lime Dressing:.
- Finely shred 2 teaspoons of peel from the limes. Squeeze enough lime juice to equal 1/2 cup.
- In small bowl whisk together the lime peel, lime juice, olive oil, garlic, coriander, cumin, salt annd pepper.