Recipe by Galley Wench
Yet another recipe from my favorite food magazine, Cook's Illustrated.
Top Review by Dr. Jenny
This was an easy to prepare, really tasty weeknight meal. Loved the wasabi mayo--perfect amount of heat. We actually prepared on the stovetop in a grill pan as it is a cold Michigan night tonight, which worked out fine. In nicer weather, this will be great on our grill. DH thinks we should top with sliced tomato and/or avocado next time. We'll try it since there will definitely be a next time...Thanks for a keeper!
- 1 1⁄4 lbs tuna steaks
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon mccormick steak seasoning (to taste, seasoned black pepper)
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon wasabi powder (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wasabi Mayonnaise:.
- Mix all ingredients together in small bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill until flavors blend, at least 10 minutes.
- Tuna Burgers:.
- With your knife, using a rocking motion, chop tuna until it is coarsely ground into pieces about 1/8 inch each.
- In medium size bowl mix tuna with garlic, ginger, salt, and pepper (to taste). Divide mixture into 4 portions approximately 5 ounces each. Using your hands press into patties about 1 inch thick.
- Chill patties in refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
- Preheat grill until very hot (about 15 minutes). Leave all burners on high.
- Oil grate (with a small wad of paper towels soaked in vegetable oil).
- Grill burgers, covered, until browned on one side, about 3 minutes. Flip burgers with greased metal spatula.
- Continue grilling, covered, to desired doneness, about 3 minutes for medium-rare or 4 minutes for medium, 5 minutes for medium-well (do not overcook).
- Serve immediately with wasabi mayonnaise.