Beer substitutes the sake or white wine. I enjoy my tuna still still red but others do like it pink or somewhat translucent in the center. If like myself follow my directions and for those that want it more well done go ahead and continue to grill it till desired doneness. You may need to move it to indirect heat.
- 4 tuna steaks (1-inch thick)
For the Marinade
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 3 ounces lager beer (drink the rest of the bottle ,0)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon asian chili-garlic sauce
- 1 scallion, sliced
- toasted sesame seeds
- Blend all the ingredients for the marinade together.
- Place the Tuna steaks in the marinade and place in the refrigerator for one hour, turning the steaks at least once.
- Place on a hot well-greased grill and baste with the marinade while turning the fish over after about 4-5 minutes while drinking the rest of the beer.
- Cook another 3-5 minutes or until medium rare. Or continue to cook till desired.
Rita, ours marinated for about 2.5 hours, and once cooked, it tasted lovely. We did find though that following your cooking times meant that the tuna was still *very* raw inside.. But maybe our steaks were a lot thicker too? Once we had put them back in the pan for a about 8 minutes longer they were done to perfection. Definitely a recipe to keep on hand when tuna is affordableâ€¦ and basting with the marinade meant that there was some semi reduced, semi sticky, flavoursome stuff in the bottom of the pan to go over it.. Tasty with the garlic pasta and salad that we made to go with it. Please see my rating system: a wonderful 4 stars. Thanks Rita!