Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
I'd prefer a grilled tom any day over a beef burger. From Culinary Tour magazine. My rendition of this recipe is to serve the grilled toms on whole wheat or multi-grain buns, if you wish. Omit the anchovy paste for vegetarian version.
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream (reduced fat okay)
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon anchovy paste (optional)
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- salt, to taste
- white pepper, to taste
- cayenne, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 2 large beefsteak tomatoes, cored and cut in half crosswise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 hamburger buns, warmed (whole wheat, multi-grain, etc.)
- CREME FRAICHE: Combine the sour cream, buttermilk, Dijon mustard, (anchovy paste,) lemon juice, salt, pepper, and cayenne in a small bowl. Blend well.
- Place the herbs in a cup and snip with scissors. Stir the snipped herbs into the sour cream mixture and let stand 10 minutes.
- TOMATOES; Drizzle the cut up tomato halves with olive oil, then season with salt and pepper.
- Grill the tomatoes, cut side down until they are softened and slightly charred, approximately 8-10 minutes. Alternately, the tomatoes can be broiled. Watch oven carefully!
- Finally, remove tomatoes from grill and place on warm bun topped with a dollop of the creme fraiche.