Recipe by Oolala
From a Williams-Sonoma Grilling cookbook. Recipe says to use firm tomatoes, even those that are slightly green since they are less juicy and hold their shape better when grilled than fully ripe ones. Fresh basil is wonderful with tomatoes but you could also use chopped tarragon or even parsley in the basting sauce. Serve warm or at room temperature. Great will grilled lamb or grilled fish.
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice or 1 tablespoon wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon shallot, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 large tomatoes, firm, cut into slices 1/2 to 1/4 inch thick
- 10 -12 green onions, trimmed including 4-inch of green tops
- fresh basil or fresh parsley sprig
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare grill with oiled rack set 4-6 inches from the fire.
- In a small bowl, stir together the oil, lemon juice or vinegar, chopped basil , shallots, salt and pepper.
- Arrange the tomatoes and onions on the rack.
- Grill, turning them 2-3 times and brushing with the oil mixture, about 5 minutes.
- If the onions are large, they may take 1-2 minutes longer.
- Transfer the tomatoes and onions to a platter and garnish with the basil or parsley sprigs.