Recipe by SarasotaCook
Not sure how this started ... I was trying to use up vegetables in the fridge and made this. Since then anytime I make steak for a dinner party I always get asked to make them. I am sure there are other versions of this, but this is so good and easy. These can be grilled outside which is my method, but this works well with a grill pan and even baked in the oven. Don't be intimidated that you can outside grill. Most grilled recipes can be done inside and even in the oven. It may not have the charcoal flavor but the texture will be close.
Top Review by kaemurphy
Made this for dinner tonight, with steak and redskin potato salad. It was totally amazing. If you don't LOVE bleu cheese, this is not the one for you, but we loved it. I will be making this often. Thank YOU!!!
- 4 portabella mushrooms (stems removed)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 plum tomatoes (lightly seeded and chopped)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 -12 ounces crumbled blue cheese or 10 -12 ounces you can use gorgonzola
- 1⁄2 cup dried Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Mushrooms -- Remove the stem and lightly brush out the inside of the mushroom caps and clean off the mushrooms with a damp towel.
- Filling -- Chop the onions, tomato and toss with the olive oil, salt, pepper and parsley and fill the mushroom caps.
- Topping -- Mix the blue cheese and the bread crumbs and top the tomato onion mixture.
- Grill -- on indirect heat for about 20 minutes until the mushroom is soft and the cheese is melted. Or you can bake for 20 minutes again on 400 degrees, middle rack. I have also done this on a grill pan, but you do need to cover with a lid from a pot or pan just so the cheese will melt. It also takes around 20 minutes on medium heat. Just enjoy!
- Great served with steak, pork chops, chicken breasts, anything. Serve with a side salad for a great vegetarian dinner. You can slice them for smaller portions or serve a whole mushroom per person.