Recipe by esmerelda smoot
An easy and quick summer recipe found in "Real Simple" magazine. (If you don't have access to a grill then try broiling them until the cheese melts and tortillas turn golden brown.)
- 8 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 12 ounces mozzarella cheese (grated or sliced, fresh is best)
- 2 tomatoes, cut into 1/4-in thick slices
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt (plus)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 bunch fresh basil, leaves picked
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 3 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat grill to medium.
- Arrange 4 of the tortillas on a cutting board. Arrange the mozzarella and tomatoes on the tortillas, leaving a 1-in border around the outside empty. Season with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and the 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Top with the remaining tortillas.
- In a medium bowl combine the basil, pine nuts, oil, and remaining salt. Set aside.
- Cook the quesadillas around the perimeter of the grill until the cheese melts and the tortillas are crisp and golden. (About 2 minuted per side.).
- Immediately cut the quesadillas into wedges and serve with the basil salad.