Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
I was trying to come up with something easy to serve at a cocktail party and this is what I came up with. They were a huge hit, even for people who normally don't like Gorgonzola cheese. The balsamic glaze can be made well in advance, I usually have some in the refrigerator waiting for me to use it. The yield is an estimation.
- 1 French baguette
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup gorgonzola, crumbled
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- To make the glaze: simmer the vinegar and the sugar until it has reduced by half. Cool then refrigerate.
- To make the crustini: slice the baguette in 1/4 inch thick rounds. Lay out on wax paper on the counter.
- Cut the tomatoes in half from top to bottom, then lay cut side down and slice into 1/4 inch thick half circles. Lay out next to the bread rounds.
- Brush the bread and the tomatoes with olive oil and season with the salt and pepper.
- Grill the bread for about 1 minute on each side on low heat. Watch out for hot spots to avoid burning. Lay out on a serving platter.
- Grill the tomatoes for about 30 seconds on each side on med-high heat, making sure to heat through and to get a little charring. Place the tomatoes on top of each lice of bread.
- Sprinkle the Gorgonzola evenly on each crustini then drizzle the glaze over the tops and around the serving platter. Sprinkle the platter with the parsley.
This made for a wonderful mid morning snack. I reduced it down to just 1/4 baguette using regular bleu cheese. I also added some garlic powder to the sauce. With the minor changes, it really made wonderful 'mini-pizzas'. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Made for the *Best of 2008* tag game, this was great & loved the glaze! I used blue cheese + garlic (like Nimz), did not use the grill (Feb in Iceland) & used crusty rolls vs baguette. We try to eat light on Tues & Thurs nite when DH has a main-meal at noon & blue cheese was the theme as I paired this w/55 House Salad (another *Best of 2008* tag). The combo made a great meal for us. Thx for sharing this recipe w/us. *Yum* :-)
Oh, this was so good! I quartered the recipe and used blue cheese. I had this for breakfast and totally enjoyed it! Thank you!