One of my favorite things to eat is grilled cheese. One of my favorite things to eat in the summer when there are fresh garden tomatoes on hand are these. Updated 8/31/08: I've edited the recipe to say chopped fresh basil as suggested by the reviewers.
- On 1 piece of bread, layer a heaping 1/4 cup grated cheese, 4 tomato slices, 4 basil leaves and another heaping 1/4 cup grated cheese.
- Top with another slice of bread, brush with melted butter.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Place sandwich, butter-side down, in pan and brush top slice of bread with butter.
- Press with spatula.
- Cook for about 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Flip and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Remove from skillet and serve immediately.
- Repeat with remaining sandwiches.
- Note: You could also make this sandwich in a panini grill, omitting the butter.
just about my favorite thing ever.
I don't think I've ever made a recipe as quickly after finding it as I did this one - and I was not disappointed! This was an excellent sandwich! I had to improvise just a bit to use what I had (yellow cheddar & slices of small tomatoes not large ones). I used spicy globe basil that I grew from seed :) I will be doing this one again for sure! Thanks for the recipe!
oh oh so good! I even went to the market to get a perfect tomato :) The sharp cheddar basil combo was ideal and i loved my lunch