Recipe by Lainey39
One of my favorite things to eat is grilled cheese. One of my favorite things to eat in the summer when there are fresh garden tomatoes on hand are these. Updated 8/31/08: I've edited the recipe to say chopped fresh basil as suggested by the reviewers.
- 8 slices bread (I use 12-grain bread)
- 2 1⁄2 cups sharp white cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 ripe tomatoes, cored and cut into 1/2-inch slices (about 1 pound)
- 16 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- On 1 piece of bread, layer a heaping 1/4 cup grated cheese, 4 tomato slices, 4 basil leaves and another heaping 1/4 cup grated cheese.
- Top with another slice of bread, brush with melted butter.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Place sandwich, butter-side down, in pan and brush top slice of bread with butter.
- Press with spatula.
- Cook for about 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Flip and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Remove from skillet and serve immediately.
- Repeat with remaining sandwiches.
- Note: You could also make this sandwich in a panini grill, omitting the butter.