2 hrs 30 mins
Galley Wench's Note:
From August Bon Appetit magazine. Great way to use up all those ripe tomatoes. Prep time includes chilling time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -3 1/2 lbs firm but ripe medium tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper (8-9 oz.)
- 1 red onion (8-9 oz.)
- 8 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 slices country bread (5x3x1/2 inch.)
- 3 garlic cloves (divided)
- 1 cucumber, peeled (10-11 oz.)
- 3 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar (or more to taste)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh marjoram
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 cup cold water (optional) or 3/4 cup tomato juice (optional)
- 3 green onions, cut into thin strips
- 1Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat).
- 2Place, tomatoes, red bell pepper and onions on baking sheet.
- 3Brush with 3 tablespoons oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 4Brush both sides of bread with 2 tablespoons oil.
- 5Grill vegetables until skins are charred, turning frequently; about 8 minutes for tomatoes, 10 minutes for onion, and 15 minutes for pepper.
- 6Return to baking sheet and cover with foil.
- 7Grill bread until toasted, about 1 1/2 minutes per side.
- 8Cut garlic clove in half; rub over toasted sides of bread.
- 9Cut bread into small cubes; reserve croutons.
- 10Remove charred skins and cores from tomatoes.
- 11Peel, seed and core pepper.
- 12Remove charred papery peel and core from onion.
- 13Set aside 1/2 of cucumber for garnish.
- 14Working in two batches, add half each of tomatoes, pepper, onion and remaining cucumber to food processor and blend until coarse puree forms.
- 15Transfer mixture to large bowl.
- 16Repeat with remaining tomatoes, pepper and onion.
- 17Using garlic press, squeeze in remaining 2 garlic cloves. Stir in remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil, 3 tablespoons vinegar, marjoram, smoked paprika, cumin and cayenne.
- 18Thin soup with water or tomato juice if desired.
- 19Season with salt and pepper.
- 20Chill at least 2 hours.
- 21Note: Croutons can be made up to 8 hours ahead. Cover and store at room temperature.
- 22To serve season gazpacho to taste with more salt and more vinegar if desired. Ladle into bowls.
- 23Garnish with cucumber, croutons and green onions.
Browse Our Top Southwestern U.S. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Southwestern U.S. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Tomato-Bell Pepper Gazpacho
Serving Size: 1 (404 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 314.1
- Calories from Fat 176
- Total Fat 19.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 210.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 5.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sherry wine vinegar