Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From August Bon Appetit magazine. Great way to use up all those ripe tomatoes. Prep time includes chilling time.
- 3 -3 1⁄2 lbs firm but ripe medium tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper (8-9 oz.)
- 1 red onion (8-9 oz.)
- 8 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 slices country bread (5x3x1/2 inch.)
- 3 garlic cloves (divided)
- 1 cucumber, peeled (10-11 oz.)
- 3 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar (or more to taste)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh marjoram
- 3⁄4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3⁄4 cup cold water (optional) or 3⁄4 cup tomato juice (optional)
- 3 green onions, cut into thin strips
- Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat).
- Place, tomatoes, red bell pepper and onions on baking sheet.
- Brush with 3 tablespoons oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Brush both sides of bread with 2 tablespoons oil.
- Grill vegetables until skins are charred, turning frequently; about 8 minutes for tomatoes, 10 minutes for onion, and 15 minutes for pepper.
- Return to baking sheet and cover with foil.
- Grill bread until toasted, about 1 1/2 minutes per side.
- Cut garlic clove in half; rub over toasted sides of bread.
- Cut bread into small cubes; reserve croutons.
- Remove charred skins and cores from tomatoes.
- Peel, seed and core pepper.
- Remove charred papery peel and core from onion.
- Set aside 1/2 of cucumber for garnish.
- Working in two batches, add half each of tomatoes, pepper, onion and remaining cucumber to food processor and blend until coarse puree forms.
- Transfer mixture to large bowl.
- Repeat with remaining tomatoes, pepper and onion.
- Using garlic press, squeeze in remaining 2 garlic cloves. Stir in remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil, 3 tablespoons vinegar, marjoram, smoked paprika, cumin and cayenne.
- Thin soup with water or tomato juice if desired.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Chill at least 2 hours.
- Note: Croutons can be made up to 8 hours ahead. Cover and store at room temperature.
- To serve season gazpacho to taste with more salt and more vinegar if desired. Ladle into bowls.
- Garnish with cucumber, croutons and green onions.