Recipe by SmHerndon
The #1 all-time favorite, most requested recipe of Arkansas Democrat-Gazette readers! "This smoky flavored soup, which can be served hot or cold, even got a rave mention on the Editorial page." NOTE: For creamy soup, use 1 cup heated stock in place of of the additional stock.
- 2 lbs ripe tomatoes, halved, about 6 medium
- 1 large onion, peeled & quartered
- olive oil
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 medium carrot, peeled & chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled & mined
- 3 -4 cups chicken stock or 3 -4 cups vegetable stock, see NOTE above
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs parsley
- 2 celery tops
- bay leaves, tied together or 2 sprigs wrapped in 1 cheesecloth
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- basil leaves, whole, for granish
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- plain yogurt or sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat broiler. Rub tomatoes and onion with olive oil, salt & pepper.
- Place under broiler for 5 minutes or until flesh is lightly charred, turning once.
- Combine tomatoes, onion, carrot, garlic, 3 cups stock, herb bundle and a little salt in large pot. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes or until veggies are soft.
- Discard herb bundle. Puree veggies in blender or food processor until smooth, return to pot. Stir in basil, lemon juice and sugar. Add remaining stock, if necessary, to achieve desired consistency.
- Season to taste with salt & pepper. Serve chilled or hot with a spoonful of yogurt or sour cream and garnish with basil leaves.