Recipe by mersaydees
Based on a recipe from Pam Spaude’s & Jan Owan-McMenamin, R.D.’s cookbook, One Year of Healthy, Hearty & Simple One-Dish Meals. They recommend serving this with cottage cheese (1/4 cup per person), a fresh fruit, or a glass of milk to complete the meal. My DH and I like these for lunch accompanied with fruit. Per serving: 221 calories, 15.9 mg cholesterol, 493 mg sodium, 2.8 gm saturated fat, 7 gm fat.
Top Review by I'mPat
Yummy - I used a sharp cheddar slice and vine ripened tomatoes and toasted it in the sandwich press and made for a quick easy and tasty lunch. Thank you mersaydees, made for Make My Recipe - Christmas Edition.
- 2 slices part-skim American cheese
- 1 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- nonstick cooking spray
- Take two bread slices and place cheese and tomato slices on top.
- Cover with remaining 2 slices of bread.
- Prepare skillet by spraying with nonstick cooking spray and toast both sides of sandwiches until golden brown.