Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
What can I say? Absolutely sublime, but ONLY make with the freshest, ripest tomatoes. Prep time does not include the 20 minutes of "sit" time for the tomatoes.
- 1 loaf French bread
- 1 lb roma tomatoes or 1 lb cherry tomatoes, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, rolled together and sliced julienne
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Place the cut tomatoes into a bowl and salt them. Let sit for 10 minutes. Add the garlic, basil and olive oil, stir to combine and let sit for another 10 minutes.
- Cut the french bread into thick (1 inch) slices. Grill the slices until just toasted and slightly charred, about 1 minute per side.
- Top the grilled bread slices with the tomato mixture and serve immediately.
So simple and yet soooo good! I've done this many times. When I don't need a lot, but just want a snack, I take some out of the refrigerator, toast some bread and put it on toast. Great summer appetizer!
Ive used a similar recipe for years....try adding a couple teaspoons of good balsamic vinigar..Try it You will love it
I saw this featured and was craving something light. This was great! I had an old tomato in the fridge, got rid of the insides and chopped it up. Down sized to one person. I had some great bread in the freezer. Everything tastes so fresh. Basil from my garden. Great recipe!!