1/3 Photos of Grilled Tofu with Grapefruit and Avocado Salsa
3 hrs 20 mins
Got this low fat, tasty main vegetarian recipe from a grocery store in Los Angeles. Presentation is beautiful, and it tastes as good as it looks. Try to marinate the tofu for as long as you can. Prep time includes minimal marinade time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 packages firm tofu
- 2 texas star red grapefruits
- 3 navel oranges
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and minced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 red onion, minced (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced and packed
- 1 bag florentine Baby Spinach, washed and dried when ready to cook
- 1/2 avocado, ripe but firm,diced just before cooking
- 1Drain the tofu packages and remove the tofu.
- 2Slice the blocks horizontally so they are half their original height.
- 3Cut the rectangles diagonally into 2 triangles each.
- 4Set them on paper towels to drain while you prepare the marinade.
- 5Halve one grapefruit and one orange and squeeze 1/2 cup of juice from each.
- 6Stir in 1 Tbs of olive oil.
- 7Dob the tops of the tofu with more paper towels.
- 8Arrange the tofu in a single layer in a large dish.
- 9Season with the cayenne pepper and 1/8 tsp salt.
- 10Mix the marinade well and pour it over the tofu.
- 11Cover with plastic wrap and allow to marinate over night or for at least several hours, turning once.
- 12Make the salsa now if you have time.
- 13Peel the remaining grapefruit and oranges.
- 14Use a paring knife to remove the outer membrane.
- 15Work over a bowl to catch the juices, and cut between the membranes to release the segments.
- 16Repeat with the oranges.
- 17Halve each fruit segment.
- 18Add the diced bell pepper, red onion, and cilantro.
- 19Season with remaining 1/8 tsp of salt.
- 20Cover and refrigerate.
- 21When you're ready to cook the tofu, heat a grill pan over high heat and add 1 tsp olive oil (or use a non-stick frying pan).
- 22Add the tofu and marinade and cook about 3 minutes on each side, turning gently with tongs or a spatula.
- 23Remove the tofu and add the spinach to the pan.
- 24Stir it around briefly so it just wilts, about 1-2 minutes.
- 25Arrange spinach in the center of 4 plates.
- 26Lay 2 triangles of tofu on top.
- 27Spoon grapefruit salsa around the tofu and garnish with fresh avocado chunks.
Browse Our Top Oranges Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Oranges Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Tofu with Grapefruit and Avocado Salsa
Serving Size: 1 (351 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 207.9
- Calories from Fat 80
- Total Fat 8.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 205.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.0 g
- Sugars 18.8 g
- Protein 4.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: