Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
From BH&G. Note marination time.
- 1⁄4 cup tamari (soy sauce)
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons shallots
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 lb extra firm tofu, drained, and sliced into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 2 tablespoons wasabi (japanese horseradish paste)
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 4 cups cooked brown rice (or japonica) or 4 cups cooked wild rice (or japonica)
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds (adds great taste and texture) (optional)
- In small bowl, combine tamari, ginger, shallots, sesame oil and rice vinegar.
- Place tofu cutlets on platter and coat both sides with marinade. Cover and refrigerate for several hours.
- Arrange tofu cutlets on grill or in a large skillet and cook on both sides until outside is lightly browned and center is warmed through, about 3 minutes per side.
- Carefully remove to platter. While tofu is cooking, combine wasabi and honey in a small mixing bowl.
- Add water as needed to form a thick glaze. Arrange grilled/cooked tofu steaks on a bed of hot rice.
- Brush with wasabi-honey glaze and sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired. Serve hot.