I LOVE Thai Curry, but I didn't like the idea of simmering chicken in coconut milk for an hour and serving it all together...too many calories! This way you marinate to get the flavor and then cook the sauce separately to serve on the side (or not have any at all) Topping with lime slices and basil, also infuses extra flavor without adding calories. This isn't really a low-cal dish, just a LOWER calorie dish than the original. If you cannot find red curry paste look for asian chili paste and add equal amounts of that and powdered curry...it's not quite the same, but it'll do. (prep time does not include time to marinate)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 -2 tablespoon red curry paste
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 cup sweet basil (divided)
- 1 fresh chili pepper, cut into strips
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts, pounded thin and even (about 4 breast halves)
- 1 (8 ounce) can bamboo shoots, cut into strips
- 1 medium bell pepper, cut into large pieces
- 1/2 lb green beans, cleaned and cut in 1 " pieces
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- lime slice (for garnish)
- 1Pour coconut milk into 1 gal sized re-sealable bag. Add curry paste, soy, ginger, lime and juice, half the basil and chili peppers.(jalapeños can be substituted for a slightly milder dish. Mash together well and then add the chicken.
- 2Allow to marinate at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- 3Prepare grill to medium high. Remove chicken from marinade and shake off excess. Grill chicken until juices run clear.
- 4While grilling, strain marinade into a medium sauce pan and bring to a simmer. Boil gently for about 5-7 minutes.
- 5Add the bamboo shoots bell pepper green beans, and brown sugar and boil an additional 5-7 minutes until thickened.(it may have a slightly oily appearance)
- 6Plate chicken with veggies and some of the sauce on top, and garnish with lime slices and remainder of the basil.
- 7Serve the rest of the sauce on the side along with some cooked basmati or jasmine rice.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Thai Red Curry Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (320 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 553.4
- Calories from Fat 336
- Total Fat 37.3 g
- Saturated Fat 23.3 g
- Cholesterol 108.9 mg
- Sodium 883.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 42.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red curry paste