Prep 40 mins
Cook 5 mins
From Williams-Sonoma. DH and I tried these for lunch today. Easy and tasty! According to Williams-Sonoma, if you would like these for a complete meal, you can serve the skewers over scallion rice. To do this, cook your rice according to package instructions and stir in 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions and 1 Tb toasted sesame seeds. We just had ours straight from the skewers.
- 680.38 g flank steaks
- 78.07 ml sake (can also use dry sherry or mirin)
- 59.14 ml soy sauce
- 59.14 ml rice vinegar
- 14.79 ml honey
- 14.79 ml sesame oil
- 29.58 ml finely chopped fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4.92 ml red pepper flakes
- 2.46 ml ground coriander
- Marinate the beef: Cut the flank steak across the grain into slices 1/4 inch thick. In a shallow glass or ceramic dish just large enough to hold the meat, stir together the sake, soy sauce, vinegar, honey, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes, and coriander. Add the flank steak and stir to coat thoroughly. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes at room temperature or up to 4 hours in the refrigerator.
- Prepare the skewers and the grill: Meanwhile, soak 12 bamboo skewers in cold water for at least 30 minutes. Prepare a gas or charcoal grill for direct-heat cooking over high heat and oil the grill rack. Or, preheat a broiler.
- Cook the beef: Drain the skewers. Remove the meat from the marinade, discarding the marinade. Thread the meat onto the skewers, dividing the meat evenly.
- Place the skewers on the grill rack, or put on a rimmed baking sheet and place under the broiler. Cook, turning once or twice, until seared, 3-4 minutes total for medium-rare, or done to your liking. Divide the skewers among dinner plates and serve immediately.
OOH BABY!! These are fabulous!! Mom thought them a bit spicy, but oh well! (they were but this was a good thing, for the rest of us) There was no flank steak at the store but there WAS some ___(chuck?) sliced similarly but thicker. I talked to the meat guy, asked if I should thinly slice a sirloin & he said he would slice the other meat thinner for me. :) it was a bit tricky to skewer. Mom was convinced it would be tough. HA!! SO tender & SO delicious!! The fresh ginger really shone through. Made for ZWT9. Mike & the Appliance Killers.
Superb!!! I used fresh cilantro instead of coriander and siracha instead of pepper flakes. This was absolutely wonderful I made with Cold Peanut Noodles and strongly suggest the combo; cool peanut noodles with spicy, sweet, salty, hot steak. Miss my teammates already!!!
Wow!!! 5 stars for this one most definitely. I made it exactly as the recipe said and was so tasty. I cooked these on the BQ and they cook in minutes, the meat was so soft and moist and a very nice blend of flavours in the marinade. This will be a regular for the BQ from now on we had burgers also and I marinaded them also all I can say is yum. I served them with Chinese Cabbage Salad / Coleslaw#54866 and they were perfect together. Thank you for posting. Made for ZWT#6 2010.