Prep 35 mins
Cook 10 mins
Why go for the same old grilled cheese sandwich when you can have this flavorful sandwich instead? Even better served with an ice cold Mexican beer.
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 whole chicken breasts, split (skinless and boneless)
- 1⁄2 cup canned black beans, rinsed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 ripe avocado, peeled, diced
- 1 small plum tomato, diced
- 1 canned green chili pepper, rinsed, chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
- 8 slices bread, cut from crusty round loaf (1/2-inch thick)
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Mix lime juice, oil, and pepper in bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat. Let marinate at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Place beans, cumin, oregano and salt in small bowl and mash with fork to coarse puree.
- Heat broiler.
- Mix avocado, tomato, chile, and onion in second small bowl.
- Place chicken breasts on baking sheet and broil 6 inches from heat until cooked but still moist, about 7 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes, then slice on diagonal.
- Top 4 slices bread with avocado mixture and then chicken. Top with bean puree and cheese and then remaining bread. Gently press sandwiches together. Brush both sides of sandwiches with butter.
- Heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 sandwiches and cook, pressing down with spatula and turning once, until golden brown. Repeat with remaining sandwiches. Serve hot.
All of the components in this dish are exceptional. Loved every part of this sandwich. The hardest part was being able to find the recipe again on the site! Made for FYC tag game.