Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe comes from British Columbia cooking teacher Jane Baily. The steaks are moist with a real Mexican kick. Add green rice, a side salad, make the Margaritas and let the party begin!!!
- 2 -3 limes
- 1⁄3 cup tequila
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 salmon steaks, each about 1 1/2 inches thick or 2 lbs salmon fillets
- 1 tablespoon cold butter (optional)
- Grate peel from limes & place in a bowl.
- Squeeze out 1/2 cup juice from limes.
- Add to bowl along with tequila & oil.
- Finely chop peppers and stir into lime mixture along with sugar, chili powder & salt.
- Place salmon into large resealable plastic bag.
- To support the bag, place in a large bowl.
- Pour marinade over fish and seal bag.
- Let marinade for at least an hour--but preferably 4 hours.
- Lightly oil grill and turn BBQ to medium.
- Remove salmon from marinade & place directly on hot grill.
- BBQ, with lid closed, for about 7- 8 minutes per side or until a knife point inserted into the center of the salmon feels warm.
- While salmon is grilling, pour remaining marinade into a saucepan.
- Boil vigorously, uncovered, stirring often, until sauce is reduced by half--about 3 minutes.
- If you want a thicker sauce, add butter & whisk constantly for about another minute.
I think anyone who doesn't grill this dish this summer will really be missing out! The fish has a suprisingly gentle citrus flavor that goes well with the sauce, that has a little bit of a bite from the jalapeno (but not too hot!) Thanks so much for this great easy recipe!
wow, what a great way to do salmon. DH and I were both really impressed by the taste. I served the salmon on plates of baby greens and used the sauce as the dressing - it was perfect. A must-try.
What a wonderful meal! Our entire family really enjoyed the flavor of the fish and the "sauce" was so....good! I would prepare "Mexican or TexMex" style side dishes because I served the boring baked potato etc. and it didn't do the salmon any justice. We will be making this more and sharing the recipe! Thanks!