Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 mins
Great main dish salad for two people, especially during summer. I found this in the Chicago Tribune.
- 1 (6 ounce) filet mignon steaks, about 6 ounces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 plum tomatoes, halved
- 1 small red onion, halved
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine vinegar or 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sherry wine vinegar or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 (5 ounce) bagmixed baby romaine lettuce or 1 (5 ounce) bag arugula
- 2 -3 tablespoons coarsely shaved parmesan cheese
- Prepare a grill for medium heat. Rub the steak with the chili powder; let stand up to 30 minutes.
- Brush or spray tomato and onion halves with vegetable oil; place on the grill cut-side down. Cover; cook until vegetables just begin to soften, about 4 minutes. Uncover; add the steak to the grill. Cook, turning once, until the steak reaches desired doneness, the onion is golden and tender and the tomatoes are slightly charred, about 8-9 minutes for medium-rare steak. Remove to a cutting board and let steak rest for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, coarsely chop 4 of the tomato halves in a medium bowl. Whisk in the olive oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper. Divide the greens between 2 serving plates; place 2 tomato halves on each plate. Thinly slice the grilled onion; place evenly over the lettuce. Slice the steak into thin slices; arrange over the salad. Drizzle each salad with 2 tablespoons of the tomato-vinegar dressing. Sprinkle with Parmesan and add more salt and pepper, if desired.