Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
By marinating the tempeh the day before you plan to serve, this dish can be prepared in just a few minutes. Adapted from Vegetarians in Paridise. The tempeh needs to marinate 24 hours in the fridge.
- 2 -3 lbs tempeh
- 1⁄3 cup rice vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄8 cup water
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 inch piece gingerroot, peeled and minced (about 3/4 tablespoons.)
- 1⁄8 cup Chinese five spice powder, plus a dash
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 green onion, cut into 1-inch lengths and finely slivered
- Score tempeh on both sides, making shallow diagonal cuts about 1/4-inch apart. Cut tempeh into 6 portions and spread out in one layer in a baking dish.
- Combine marinade ingredients in a bowl, and pour over tempeh, turning to coat both sides. Marinate in refrigerator for at least 24 hours, turning pieces several times.
- Preheat barbecue and grill 5 to 7 minutes on each side. Remove to a serving platter and garnish with the slivered green onion. Save leftover marinade to use as a dipping sauce for a future recipe. Serves 6.
I bought 2 8oz packages of tempeh at $3.60(!) each for 3 people & we almost had leftovers. For us, a 4oz portion was enough for 1 person. So, I think 3.5lbs for 3 servings could be changed. But it would also depend on what else is being served. ;) BUT what a fabulous marinade! I didn't marinate it overnight but it was still delicious! I used my cast iron skillet instead of the grill & it was perfect. The sugars create nice caramelization. This is a definite keeper! Made for the 9/08 Vegetarian Swap.