Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
These well-seasoned chicken skewers certainly beat plain grilled chicken. Bottled tandoori spice mix makes prep work a snap (just ease up on the amount if you can't stand too much heat). From W.W.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 32 chunks (about 4 pieces per thigh)
- 1 1⁄4 cups plain fat-free yogurt, divided
- 2 tablespoons tandoori spice mix
- 1⁄2 cup cucumber, English variety, diced
- 3 tablespoons mint leaves, fresh, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon table salt
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 16 wedges
- olive oil flavored cooking spray (2 sprays)
- 2 cups cooked whole wheat couscous
- Put chicken, 1/2 cup of yogurt and spice mix in a resealable plastic food storage bag. Seal bag and turn to mix and coat. Place bag on a plate and refrigerate on lowest shelf for at least 1 hour or up to 8 hours.
- To make sauce, stir together remaining 3/4 cup of yogurt, cucumber, mint and salt in a small bowl until blended; refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Preheat grill. Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade. Thread chicken and onion wedges onto 8 metal skewers, using 4 pieces of chicken and 2 pieces of onion per skewer. (If using wooden skewers soak them in water 30 minutes before use to prevent burning.) Coat chicken and onions with cooking spray.
- Grill skewers, turning often, until chicken is no longer pink in center, about 7 to 9 minutes. Serve skewers over couscous with sauce on the side. Yields 2 skewers, 1/2 cup of couscous and about 1/4 cup of sauce per serving.
A nice, simple recipe - the red onions look and taste great in the mix. For the tandoori spice, I used the mix from Tandoori Style Chicken. I had mine over couscous and my son had his in pita and really liked it that way - so that may be my lunch tomorrow! Thanks for sharing!