Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
As close as I could get to a dish served at a Chicago restaurant I frequented. I use whole quartered chicken, since I think marinating time will turn boneless chicken to mush. (5/23: I keep skin on the chicken. If wanted, you could take it off before eating.)
- 4 whole chicken quarters
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 4 garlic cloves, mashed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 bay leaf powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper or 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon powdered clove
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- Prick chicken pieces all over with a fork.
- Combine yogurt and garlic and marinate chicken for 5 hours in this mixture in non-metal pan covered with plastic wrap in refrigerator. Turn often.
- Mix remaining ingredients. Rub or spread this paste on chicken after it has been removed from marinade. Let stand for 2-3 hours in refrigerator.
- Grill over medium coals or on oiled grates of gas grill for 45-55 minutes, checking with thermometer to confirm doneness.
- NOTE: I prefer using indirect method of cooking this on a covered grill. If using gas grill, only light right burner and cook on left side.
Made as written, but did not have cardamom powder. Authentic and 5+ stars.
Thank you for a lovely recipe, I wasn't sure if I needed to take the skin off so I left it on but it was delicious.