Prep 4 hrs
Cook 1 min
Thanks to Shawn Sidey and Celebrity Kitchens. Easy, delicious stuff. Enjoy with grilled naan bread (try it dotted with hot sauce;), Curried Tomato Chutney, and Cucumber-Mint Raita. You can pick up tandoori paste in indian food stores or indian sections of supermarkets (got mine at my Super G)
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon tandoori paste
- 1⁄3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- Clean and defat breasts.
- Place in a large bowl.
- Process remaining ingredients to a uniform sauce.
- Pour over chicken breasts and mix (do NOT use a fork AND tandoori stains fingers, so use plastic gloves or do what I did- put your hands in ziplocks and go for it).
- Cover and marinade for 4 hours at room temp (it's okay, really. I did it) or refrigerate overnight, turning several times.
- Chicken should NOT marinade for more than 2 days because the yogurt tenderizes the meat If refrigerated, take out 1 hour prior to cooking and bring to room temp.
- TO ROAST: Preheat oven to 500-550*F.
- Place chicken breasts on a extra large shallow roasting pan, preferably on a wire rack.
- Set pan in the middle of the oven and roast for 25-30 minutes or until meat is cooked through.
- Basting is unneccessary because the enclosed environment prevents excessive dryness.
- TO BROIL INDOORS: Preheat broiler.
- Spray grill with nonstick to prevent sicking.
- Place chicken on grill and cook 2-3 inches away from heat for 20 minutes.
- Turn and cook another 10 minutes or until cooked through.
- TO GRILL: Place chicken breasts on grill rack sprayed with nonstick.
- Brush with extra marinade.
- Let chicken cook WITHOUT turning for 10 minutes.
- Turn, baste other side, and cook another 10.
- Continue cooking, turning every 10 minutes until done.
I used Patek's tandoori paste in this recipe and the optional red pepper flakes. I mixed the ingredients in a large zip bag, added the chicken breasts, and smushed it around a bit to coat everything. I left it in the bag to marinate and flipped the bag occasionaly. I completely ignored the instructions on marinading at room temp for 4 hours and the long grilling time. Grilling on a indoor contact grill took approx 8 minutes and the chicken was cooked, but still juicy. Served with cilantro rice and Asian slaw.