Prep 2 mins
Cook 8 mins
This was a frequently ordered sandwich, even though it was not on the menu, at the grill at Memorial Hospital in Belleville. When working night shift, my husband and I ate our fair share of these tasty sandwiches. I think the secret to this recipe is LOTS of salted butter on the bread prior to grilling! If you like, feel free to add light sprinkle of sea salt and some cracked black pepper on the tomato when you are making the sandwich (as many swiss cheeses are low sodium). Sometimes I add pickles into the sandwich before grilling too :)
- Preheat pan to med-high.
- Dip one side of one piece of bread in the butter and place it butter side down in pan.
- On top, add 1 slice of cheese, 1 tomato slice, then 1 more slice of cheese.
- Dip another slice of bread (one side only) in the butter and place on top of the sandwich with butter side up.
- Make the next sandwich the same way.
- Grill to your liking (we usually do 2-3 minutes on each side because we prefer them lightly toasted).
Nice and simple twist on a classic. Thanks!!!
Yummy! This was a perfect lunch for me today. I had some beautiful tomatoes, and loved them with the swiss cheese and rye bread. Thanks for sharing! Made for ZWT7.
Delicious! I used Winnipeg rye bread and instead of melting the butter, I just spread softened butter on the bread... I also added some crispy bacon - I figured if it need a little salt, porky goodness salt is the way to go! We dunked ours in sriracha sauce to up it a little bit...