Recipe by JanuaryBride
This was a frequently ordered sandwich, even though it was not on the menu, at the grill at Memorial Hospital in Belleville. When working night shift, my husband and I ate our fair share of these tasty sandwiches. I think the secret to this recipe is LOTS of salted butter on the bread prior to grilling! If you like, feel free to add light sprinkle of sea salt and some cracked black pepper on the tomato when you are making the sandwich (as many swiss cheeses are low sodium). Sometimes I add pickles into the sandwich before grilling too :)
- 4 pieces rye bread (or pumpernickle)
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 2 slices tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons salted butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat pan to med-high.
- Dip one side of one piece of bread in the butter and place it butter side down in pan.
- On top, add 1 slice of cheese, 1 tomato slice, then 1 more slice of cheese.
- Dip another slice of bread (one side only) in the butter and place on top of the sandwich with butter side up.
- Make the next sandwich the same way.
- Grill to your liking (we usually do 2-3 minutes on each side because we prefer them lightly toasted).