Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
These are great for a quick lunch or a soup and sandwich night. Kids love these as well as the grown ups. Sourdough is another fantastic choice of bread to grill these on. You can interchange any type of cheese. Please use the best ketchup you can find, I use Heinz, as it will make all of the difference.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 whole boneless skinless chicken breast (about 3/4 pound)
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon good quality ketchup
- 4 slices rye bread (thick slices)
- 4 slices swiss cheese, cut to fit the bread
- 2 small whole sweet pickles, sliced thin, plus
- 2 whole pickles (to garnish)
- 2 slices red onions (thin slices)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- In a small, heavy skillet heat 1/2 tablespoons of the butteer over moderately high heat until the foam subsides, in it saute' the chicken, turning it once, for 12 to 15 minutes, or it is springy to the touch and just cooked through, and on a work surface shred the chicken.
- In a small bowl combine well the mayonnaise, the ketchup, and salt and pepper to taste, divide the mixture among the bread slices, spreading it, and top it with the Swiss cheese. Divide the pickle and onion slices between 2 of the half-sandwiches, top them with the chicken, and cover the chicken, with the remaining half-sandwiches.
- In a small shallow disk whisk together the egg, milk, and salt and pepper to taste, press each sandwich together firmly, and dip the sandwiches, one at a time, in the egg mixture, turning them to coat them thoroughly. In a heavy skillet heat 1/2 tablespoons of the remaining butter over moderate heat until the foam subsides and in it cook the sandwiches, covered, for 4 minutes or until the undersides are a golden brown. Transfer the sandwiches to plates, halve them with a serrated knife, and garnish them with the whole picklesd, cut lengthwise into fan shapes.
These were so yummy! I used a vidalia onion and cheddar cheese and made them with white bread. They were very filling and made a nice summer supper for us.
Absolutely delicious and a real treat for dinner tonight! I made this as listed, but doubled the recipe for the 4 of us. Oh, I skipped the onion - personal preference! I really liked the sauce and the sweet pickles were a really nice touch. We all easily gave this 5 stars and enjoyed it with Recipe #415095. I made this for Kittencal's Going Green game. Thanks FLUFFSTER! :)