Adapted from Vegetarian Times 2005 Grilled sweet potatoes require close attention – but the results are worth it. Slice them too thick, and they won’t cook through; slice them too thin, and they will char quickly. Slice carefully and keep an eye on the grill.
cilantro lime vinaigrette
- 4.92 ml grated lime zest
- 14.79 ml lime juice
- 14.79 ml white wine vinegar
- 59.14 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 29.58 ml cilantro, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 907.18 g sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced 3/8 inch thick
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 scallions, white and green parts sliced
- 44.37 ml orange juice or 44.37 ml mango juice or 44.37 ml pineapple juice
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- Prepare medium-low charcoal grill or preheat a gas grill.
- For the vinaigrette: combine lime zest, juice, and vinegar in a large bowl.
- Whisk in oil until completely blended.
- Stir in cilantro, garlic and salt.
- To make sweet potatoes: add potato slices to vinaigrette, and let marinate for 5 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the potato slices to the grill.
- Turn occasionally, basting with remaining vinaigrette and cook until tender when pierced with a fork – about 10-15 minutes.
- Return grilled potatoes to vinaigrette.
- Add red pepper, scallions, juice, salt and pepper; toss gently and serve.