Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
Grilling the vegetables makes all the difference in this original lasagna recipe.
- 8 -10 small red potatoes, halved, skins on
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- 1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise
- 1 medium yellow squash, quartered lengthwise
- 2 large sweet onions, peeled and quartered lengthwise, leaving root intact
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, room temperature
- 1⁄2 lb asiago cheese, grated and divided
- 1 egg, beaten with fork
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (26 ounce) jar tomato sauce (with basil)
- 10 lasagna noodles (no boil)
- In a medium size pot, place potatoes, garlic cloves and salt. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer until tip of knife pierces the flesh, approximately 12-15 minutes. Potatoes should be firm enough to grill. Drain and spread out on sheet pan to slightly cool and dry. Reserve garlic for lasagna assembly.
- Preheat gas grill to medium high. Brush potatoes, squash and onions with olive oil; place on grill, turning frequently to roast all sides. After 10-15 minutes, when vegetables are browned and tender, remove from grill. Allow to slightly cool, remove root from onions and roughly chop. Quarter the potatoes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In bowl of stand mixer or food processor, combine cream cheese, half of asiago cheese and egg. Add black pepper to taste.
- Pour half of sauce on bottom of 9 x 13 baking dish. Layer as follows: Five noodles, cheese and egg mixture, potatoes and garlic, five noodles, remaining sauce, onions and squash, top with remaining asiago cheese.
- Bake for one hour at 350 degrees.