This is a appetizer or side dish(ish), great for summer parties and even served cold the day after for picnics. For super easy clean up, grill on a disposable aluminum pan, the kind you find at the dollar store...
- Halve tomatoes and scoop out insides leaving 1/2-inch thick shell.
- Chop pulp and set aside.
- Combine breadcrumbs, butter, basil, salt and pepper. Stir in cheese and tomato pulp.
- Fill tomato halves with cheesy breadcrumb.
- Spray cooking spray lightly on the bottom of aluminum pan.
- Place tomato halves in disposable pan and wrap top loosely with foil.
- If grilling, set over grill for at least 10 minutes.
- If oven baking, bake at 350° for 15 minutes and broil until cheese is browned and bubbly.
- Uncover and serve on pan with large sprigs of parsley or curly parsley.
"This recipe deserves more than 5 Stars"! Your recipe is not only "delicious" but "Flexible" and still Low Carb. I gave your recipe a work out with my Summer Tomatoes and garden herbs this year. "Italian" - mozzarella cheese, chives, oregano, basil & parsley. "Greek" - feta cheese, chives, oregano, basil & parsley. "Mexican" or spicy - cheddar cheese, jalapeno pepper or a few drops of hot sauce, chives, & cilantro instead of parsley. Your recipe got rave reviews with family and friends. The "bonus"? On the grill or in the oven it's always perfect! Thank you, Thank you.
Very good!! Perfect side for any grilled meat.
This was a wonderful way of using up some of the tomatoes in my crisper drawer. The basil was the crowning touch of this dish, as it really contributed a nice flavor boost for the filling. I baked mine (because it's too rainy outside to enjoy grilling), and it worked beautifully. So don't hesitate to try this indoors when the weather isn't cooperating. Thanks for sharing your recipe, BratGyrl. We enjoyed this.