Recipe by BratGyrl
This is a appetizer or side dish(ish), great for summer parties and even served cold the day after for picnics. For super easy clean up, grill on a disposable aluminum pan, the kind you find at the dollar store...
Top Review by gypsygal
"This recipe deserves more than 5 Stars"! Your recipe is not only "delicious" but "Flexible" and still Low Carb. I gave your recipe a work out with my Summer Tomatoes and garden herbs this year. "Italian" - mozzarella cheese, chives, oregano, basil & parsley. "Greek" - feta cheese, chives, oregano, basil & parsley. "Mexican" or spicy - cheddar cheese, jalapeno pepper or a few drops of hot sauce, chives, & cilantro instead of parsley. Your recipe got rave reviews with family and friends. The "bonus"? On the grill or in the oven it's always perfect! Thank you, Thank you.
- 8 large tomatoes or 16 plum tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 16 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons dry basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Halve tomatoes and scoop out insides leaving 1/2-inch thick shell.
- Chop pulp and set aside.
- Combine breadcrumbs, butter, basil, salt and pepper. Stir in cheese and tomato pulp.
- Fill tomato halves with cheesy breadcrumb.
- Spray cooking spray lightly on the bottom of aluminum pan.
- Place tomato halves in disposable pan and wrap top loosely with foil.
- If grilling, set over grill for at least 10 minutes.
- If oven baking, bake at 350° for 15 minutes and broil until cheese is browned and bubbly.
- Uncover and serve on pan with large sprigs of parsley or curly parsley.