Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
"A twist on traditional meatloaf, this entree gets you out of the kitchen to enjoy the summer sun." From TOH.
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- In a large skillet, sauté mushroom sand onion in butter until tender; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, milk, oats, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- On a large piece of heavy-duty foil, pat beef mixture into a 12 x 8 inch rectangle; spoon mushroom mixture to within 1 inch of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side and peeling foil away while rolling. Seal seam and ends. Discard the foil.
- Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Form a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Place meat loaf on foil; place on the grill rack over drip pan.
- Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 35 minutes. Combine sauce ingredients; brush over loaf. Grill 15-20 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°F Let stand 15 minutes before slicing.
We used propane so it really didn't taste very grilled. We loved the flavor though and thought overall it was great. Next time, I'll try charcoal.
Really good, think cheese would make it better.