Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
A Mario Batali recipe. Cooking time reflects marinating time.
- 12 bottled grape leaves, rinsed and dried
- 1 lb soft fresh goat cheese, preferably coach farm
- 2 tablespoons black pepper, freshly grated
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave, chopped
- Spread 12 grape leaves on the countertop.
- In a mixing bowl, blend the goat cheese and black pepper until homogeneous.
- Place a generous tablespoon of goat cheese in the center of each leaf.
- Fold in the sides of each leaf, then roll up burrito fashion and tie with kitchen string.
- Drizzle 1 teaspoon olive oil over each and refrigerate for one hour.
- Preheat the grill.
- Place the chilled packets over the medium hot part of the grill.
- Cook until the leaves are just starting to char all over, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Place 3 packets on each plate and drizzle with a teaspoon of balsamic vinegar and a dusting of fresh thyme.
- Serve immediately.
I found the goat cheese to be very over powering. I love goat cheese but it was a little too much at one time. I did try this with fontina cheese since I had it on hand and was much happier with it. So I will be experimenting with different cheeses to see what I like best. I gave it 3 stars because even tho I didn't like it too much, it gave me the push to expeiment. Thank you for posting.