Recipe by Nif
This recipe is from La Cucina Italiana. "Slice into the chicken breast to reveal a colorful filling of melted cheese and red pepper. If you don't have a grill pan, simply sear the chicken in a heavy-based skillet, using a little more oil in the pan.". You don't have to use the garlic or the fresh rosemary, but it really finishes off the dish. Enjoy!
- 1 head garlic, cloves separated
- 1 small bunch fresh rosemary sprig
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for grill pan
- 4 ounces scamorza cheese or 4 ounces smoked mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/8-inch cubes
- 2 1⁄2 ounces fresh ricotta cheese (1/2 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup roasted red pepper, finely chopped (from a jar)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil leaf, thinly sliced
- 4 (8 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- coarse sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375°. Combine garlic cloves and 2 short rosemary sprigs in a 1/2-quart ovenproof saucepan; cover with oil. Bake until garlic cloves are tender and lightly golden, about 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir together scamorza or smoked mozzarella, ricotta, roasted pepper and basil in a medium bowl. Using a small sharp knife and working with 1 chicken breast at a time, cut a 2-inch-long slit horizontally into 1 side of chicken breast. Move knife back and forth in slit to form pocket. Divide cheese mixture among chicken pockets. Press edges to seal. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Brush grill pan with oil and heat over medium-high heat. Grill chicken until golden on both sides, about 10 minutes total. Transfer chicken to a baking dish and bake until cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Let chicken stand 5 minutes, then transfer to a serving dish. Remove garlic oil from oven. Garnish chicken with baked garlic cloves, and baked and fresh rosemary sprigs. Serve with garlic oil for drizzling.